Friday, October 2, 2009

Time is on my side...

On the exciting second day of the Grace Hopper Conference, attracting people in all age brackets, an interesting workshop I attended was the one on Time Management, Time Is On My Side, organized by Lockheed Martin. When there are innumerable things to be done at the same itme, the ability to properly and efficiently use our time to complete various tasks becomes of utmost importance. This one was less of a discourse and more of a discussion... Relating myself with all the time bandits and time management problems that others have as well, I could'nt help nodding my head constantly... :)

Beginning with a discussion on the many struggles that people face with managing their time, I realized that the problem majority faced was to handle both work and school regularly, and things even more difficult for those who have to look after a family as well. Something I should ponder about, cause I just have to go to school, unlike many others who have to handle a plethora of things in their lives, and even then fail to devote the appropriate time to tasks invariably. One of the many reasons that women face problems with time management is because they just cannot say 'NO', which virtually always makes them end up neing overscheduled. Something that happens with me as well. Many a times you realize that you have so much to do that it's hard to segregate what should be put first on the stack. And their comes the concept of undersytanding and differentiating between what's urgent and what's significant. Invariably, we find ourselves being caught in this web of the 'TO DO' things and at that time it becomes important to realize as to what has to be done first and what thereafter, something which only the subject can decide depending on what tasks are more significant to affect his life in the coming time.

On today's earth, where if we sit with a paper and try to jott down a list time bandits, it will turn out to be incessant, almopst everyone in the hall figured that the majority of time they wasted was on the internet chatting with theri friends, texting and virtually always ending up maximizing their break time... As these are some of the things I find myself trapped in as well, I understand, and so do many others, that the only possoble solution is self constraint, and to realize that you have tasks of more priority to be done before you.

As almost everyone at some point of time, makes a list of things to be done, it's important to understand the sequence of their being done as well, by making a clear distinction between what is urgent and what is significant... After all, it's good to have a schedule, it;s good to have a clear picture of the next day in front fo you, as that just helps me to complete tasks with all myself and all confidence... and also gives a sense of satisfaction and happiness once I have done them... (No wonder we love to strike out the tasks from the 'to do' list once they are done.. :P). But they are my individual opinions, what do you think about time management? Is it good to make a schedule? Are their better practices to be followed to make ourselves more organized? Feel free to leave a comment... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment